|Date Posted||July 22, 2021|
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape mixed market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer powered healthcare.
PSI created a new branch office in Zimbabwe after supporting the 22-year-old PSI/Zimbabwe Trust – now named Population Solutions for Health – to achieve full financial and operational independence as a deeply rooted local entity leading implementation on a range of HIV and SRHR activities in Zimbabwe. PSI in Zimbabwe leads prime and subaward management and compliance across multiple funding streams with USAID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Embassy of Sweden. PSI provides high quality “light touch” technical assistance to the MoHCC, PSH and other health system players to strengthen mixed health system performance in HIV and SRHH, with an emphasis on driving a robust adaptive implementation and learning agenda, supporting insight-driven and HCD-informed program design with consumers at the center, and innovating management information systems and digital health solutions for enabling real-time data use for program improvements and improving the quality, frequency and efficiency of provider and consumer contact.
The Financial Accountant will lead financial accounting, prime- and subaward grants and contracts compliance, and financial reporting for the Zimbabwe branch office. Working closely with the PSH Trust and MoHCC in their relative purchasing and implementer roles, this position will oversee payment processing by PSI as the independent VMMC RBF fundholder in support of national VMMC program financing in 27 USAID and BMGF funded districts. This position supervises a lean team of up to five financial accounting and grants and contracts staff with strong dotted lines to DC support functions.
Reports administratively to: Country Representative.
Technical dotted line to: PSI Field Finance Support (FFS) and Grants and Contracts (G&C)
Duties And Responsibilities
1. Budgeting: Lead planning, execution, and monitoring of the annual operating budget for the Branch Office.
2. Financial Reporting: Oversee and approve month-end reconciliations, journals, and completion of the month-end close according to PSI global accounting policy, achieving minimum standards for quality, completeness and timeliness of reporting. Ensure monthly review and timely follow-up of aging balance sheet accounts and flag persistent delays or problems for management action.
3. Payment Processing and Approvals: In partnership with the PSH Trust, review or approve RBF payments for review and final processing according to RBF policies and procedures, PSI accounting policies and PSI in Zimbabwe delegated approval authorities. Ensure that all prepared RBF and non-RBF payments have adequate support documentation and correct charge codes and are ready for approval and processing within the agreed turnaround time. Review and submit any VAT tracking and submission requirements.
4. Cashflow and Treasury Management: Supervise Accounts Officer to manage bank accounts and petty cash custodian fund levels to ensure payment coverage and to minimize the risk of standing bank balances. Submit monthly operating advance request for approval and track any delayed transfers through to receipt. Ensure timely running of payments in the accounting system and clearing of obligations from PSI accounts. Oversee timely follow-up with bankers and ensure all queries are resolved in the month they appear (returned or duplicate transfers).
5. Financial and Grants and Contracts Compliance: Ensure in-country compliance with PSI global accounting policies, local statutory regulations, and Acts, ensuring on-time statutory payments, where required. Lead two Grants and Contracts Officers in subrecipient management, monitoring and compliance, and in contracting for RBF under the fundholding role according to PSI accounting policies and subaward management and monitoring procedures.
6. Performance Management, Professional Development, and Accountability: Guide, mentor, and support a lead time of accounting and grants and contracts staff to set, achieve and report back on ambitious annual performance goals, including professional development and succession planning.
7. Financial system oversight: Lead QBE financial system implementation for the branch office, including the standalone file and server and systems for backing up financial data according to PSI policies and procedures.
8. Partnering and Customer Service: Ensure a functioning branch office environment in close partnership with the PSH Trust. Manage leveraged support from the PSH finance, HR, IT and Supply Chain teams, including oversight for quantifying monthly requirements and conducting month-end reconciliations and reimbursements for services purchased. Enforce timely follow-up of client queries regarding payables transactions on a timely basis and maintain a strong implementation partnership with RBF purchasing and verification entities.
9. Any other responsibilities, as defined by the supervisor.
Qualifications And Experience
What are we looking for?
• Degree in Business Studies, Finance, Accounting
• Full professional qualification e.g., ACCA, CIS
• 5 years working experience with strong analytical skills
• Able to work under pressure and attend to tasks at short notice.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• References will be required.
• The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check
- The successful candidate must be able to legally work in Zimbabwe. S/he will demonstrate an ability to work independently with remote guidance across time zones from PSI Field Finance Support, approaching the job with a strong customer service orientation in PSI’s fast-paced environment. S/he will have meticulous attention to detail, a commitment to producing accurate, compliant and quality work, and an ability to proactively prioritize and management multiple tasks with minimal direction. In return, PSI/Z offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with qualifications and experience. PSI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of gender identity or expression, race, religion, national origin, or disability. Detailed CV and a Cover Letter clearly highlighting the job title on the subject line should be sent , to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.